This past weekend as winter storm Jonas made a fierce impact on the east coast the volunteers of Neffsville Fire Company had a crew in station all weekend to staff the fire house. The storm brought a total of 19 calls, 11 Fire and 8 QRS calls from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. Crews handled 3 dwelling assignments, 2 Automatic Fire Alarms, 2 wires calls, a gas leak, an Investigation, a residential lockout, a medical assist, and the 8 QRS calls.
Shortly after midnight station 207 was dispatched for a reported dwelling fire. Deputy and Chief 207 responded and were advised of the front of the house well off. Lancaster general hospital called LCWC and advised them that they have a column of smoke from they’re camera. Crews arrived and found a large brush fire well off with 2 house’s close by. Fire was put out and crews cleared.
The volunteers and career staff had a steady day of calls. Shortly after 4pm station 207 along with mutual aid were alerted for a reported dwelling fire. Crews were advised by LCWC of an outlet outside of the house smoking. Crews shut off the power to the outlet and marked control of the incident. As crews were settling in for the night station 207 was alerted for an automatic fire alarm. Chief 207 and engine 208 responded and were advised by LCWC that the home owner reported it to be false. As crews were clearing that call the engine and chief were requested by police dept to assist them in a wash down. Shortly after returning crews were hit for a class 1 vehicle accident down the street from the station.
As crews were settling in for the night MTFR stations along with Engine 25 (Lititz) and Tanker 29 (West Earl) were dispatched for a reported plane crash. Engine 207, Engine 204 and Truck 204 arrived with Deputy 207. Due to the plane landing in an active corn field crews used Truck 204′s 100ft ladder to locate the plane. The plane was located and check for any leaking fluids. The plane was then turned back over to the pilot and Lancaster airport personnel.
Shortly after 7pm MTFR stations along with stations 23 and 67 were alerted for a reported dwelling fire. Assistant 207 (Hoffman) signed on and was advised of multiple calls of a garage attached to house on fire. Truck and engine 204 arrived and found a well involved garage attached to the house. Assistant 207 arrived and took the command requesting the working fire dispatch. Crews worked for a couple of hours bring the fire under control . Station’s 24, 29, 61 and 63 all assisted.
Neffsville Fire Company regrets to announce the passing of fire photographer Woody Woodward. Woody fought a long battle with cancer. Woody started volunteering with Lafayette Fire Company and was also employed with Lancaster county-wide Communications. The members and line officers of Neffsville Fire Company and Manheim Township Fire Rescue send our thoughts and prayers to Woody’s family.
Neffsville Fire Company is currently accepting applications for 2 live-in positions. If you are interested Please check out or live-in page or visit MTFR.net and fill out the form for an application. Any questions feel free to call the station at 717-569-1956.
This year’s soup and sub sale will be Saturday March 28th 2015 from 8am-Sold out! You must bring your own container’s for the soup!
We will also have this year’s easter bunny breakfast on Saturday April 4th 2015 from 8am-11am. Come out and enjoy an awesome breakfast and to see the easter bunny!
Is your child entering grades 2-8th? Have they ever wondered what it took to be a firefighter? Well then we have the answer! Its that time of year for our annual Cadet camp! This event teaches children hard work, self confidence and how to be an effective member of a team. Cadets learn fire and life safety skills, see demonstrations of firefighting equipment and get to participate in hands-on exercises. Enthusiastic campers visit the training grounds where local firefighters train and then get to spend the night at the firehouse. The camp has proven to be successful in motivating families to consider evaluating fire and life safety plans in their homes. Registration is open, please follow this link to sign up and see more info!